• Some Frequently Asked Questions

  • Accident Reports | Auto Registration & Inspection | Seatbelt Laws Gun Laws | Recreational Vehicle Laws

  • When must an Accident Report be filed?

    The Massachusetts State form for all accidents can be obtained at any police station in the Commonwealth of Mass. Obtain and fill out three copies, send the first copy to the police department in the jurisdiction where the accident took place. Send the second copy to the Registry of Motor Vehicles. The third copy should be retained for your records.
    1. Accident reports must always be filed when personal injury occurs, no matter what the damage to vehicles.

    2. In cases without injury, any accident where the combined damages exceed $1,000 also requires a report to be filed in the jurisdiction where the accident took place and within 5 days of the accident.

    3. Accidents where the combined damage cost is less than $1,000 do not require the filing of state accident forms.

  • How long do I have to register my newly acquired vehicle?

    From the date of purchase you have . .

    7 calendar days to register your vehicle.

  • Can I attach the plates from my old vehicle to my newly acquired vehicle?


Yes, if you meet certain criteria. First you have to lose possession of the old vehicle. The plates can only go on a vehicle with the same design (i.e. motorcycle to motorcycle). All of the completed paperwork needs to be in the new vehicle.

For more information, visit: Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles

  • How long do I have to have this vehicle inspected?

    After you register a vehicle in the Commonwealth, you have 7 business days to have your car inspected by an approved inspection station.
    If your car fails to meet emission standards, you will have 15 days to correct any deficiency and you MAY drive your vehicle during this period.
    If your car fails to meet safety standards, you will have 15 days to correct any deficiency and you may NOT operate your motor vehicle until it has been re-inspected and passed.

  • What are the current Seat Belt regulations?

    Under M.G.L. c90 s7AA

    1. All children under the age of 5 years old must be secured in a federally approved infant, toddler, convertible or booster seat appropriate for the child’s age and weight. Children 5 years of age or older and who weigh more than 40 pounds must wear a seat belt that is properly adjusted. Children old enough to use a vehicle’s safety belt should not be allowed to place the shoulder belt under their arm or behind their back. It is allowed and recommended that children who weigh between 40 and 60 pounds use a federally approved booster seat designed for this weight range.
The seat belt law applies to children riding in all types of privately owned vehicles and all vehicles for hire, such as taxi cabs. It is the responsibility of the child’s parent or caregiver to provide the car seat for use in taxis, and in any and all vehicles that transport their child(dren), regardless of vehicle ownership. 

    2. Older children/teens and adults riding in a motor vehicle are now required to wear a safety belt.
    Exceptions Apply . .
    1. to adults for vehicles that were not manufactured with safety belts (i.e. antique autos and vehicles that are not supplied with safety belts).
    2. to persons physically unable to use safety belts.
    3. to persons riding as a passenger in a vehicle used to transport persons for hire.
    4. to passengers in vehicles in which all seating positions equipped with safety belts or child passenger restraints are occupied by other passengers who are using the restraints.

  • What are the current gun laws?

    On October 21, 1998 the Massachusetts Gun Control Act took effect. This law makes significant changes to our existing firearms laws including requirements regarding the purchase, possession, carrying, storage, and licensing of firearms. This law also increases the criminal penalties for unlawful possession and use of firearms.
    We at the Salisbury Police Department would like to inform you of some of the changes that have taken place regarding the Firearms Identification Card and Licenses to Carry, and answer some of the frequently asked questions. 
    • Your current FID Card will expire on your birthday in 2003 if you were born between July 1 and December 31. It will expire on your birthday in the year 2004 if your birthday falls between January 1 and June 30.
    • The new FID Card will be valid for 6 years and permits the possession and carrying of non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.
    • A restricted FID Card is available solely for the possession of mace or pepper spray.
    • The fee for a FID Card is $100.00.
    • If you possessed a FID Card on October 21, 1998, together with a handgun that you obtained with a permit to purchase, your FID Card allows you to validly possess this handgun in your residence or place of business.
    • If you possessed a FID Card on October 21, 1998, together with a large capacity rifle or shotgun, you may continue to possess the rifle or shotgun until your FID Card expires. At that time, you must apply for a Class B License to Carry. 
    • Strict new eligibility requirements now apply.


    The new law creates two types of Licenses to Carry (LTC).

The Class A LTC permits the purchase, possession and carrying of large capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns and feeding devices.


 The Class B LTC permits the purchase, possession and carrying of non-large capacity handguns and large capacity rifles and shotguns.

    • Your current LTC will be valid until its stated expiration date.
    • New applicants must be 21 years of age or older to obtain a Class A or B LTC.
    • The new Class A and B LTCs are valid for 6 years.
    • The fee for a Class A or B LTC is $100.00.
    • Strict new eligibility requirements now apply.


    • Effective June 1, 1998, all new firearm license applicants must complete a certified firearms safety or hunter education course.
    • Effective October 21, 1998 all firearms must be stored in a locked container or be equipped with an approved locking device.
    • Effective October 21, 1998 the law imposed a ban on covert guns, unreliable guns (junk guns), and certain assault weapons.
    • Effective October 21, 1998, the law established a new category of large capacity weapons and feeding devices. A weapon is large capacity if it is:

A semiautomatic handgun or rifle that is capable of accepting a feeding device that holds more than 10 rounds, or more than 5 shotgun shells (in the case of a shotgun).

  • Q. Where do I apply for a LTC or FID Card?
    A. You can apply for a FID Card or Class A or B LTC at the Police Station in the city or town where you live or where your principle place of business is located.

     Q. I have a FID Card and a LTC. Do I need both?
    A. No. On October 21, 1998 your current LTC automatically became a Class A LTC until its stated expiration date. 

    Q. What rules apply to hunting?
    A. Anyone with a FID Card or a Class A or B LTC may use a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun for hunting. High capacity rifles or shotguns require either a Class A or B LTC. While engages in hunting and in possession of a hunting license, a person with a FID Card or a Class A or B LTC may carry a loaded or unloaded rifle or shotgun on a public way. 

    Q. I obtained a LTC prior to October 21, 1998. When does it expire?
    A. Your current LTC is valid until the stated expiration date. Any new LTCs issued are valid only for 6 years.

    The information regarding firearms on this web page is intended to highlight the relevant sections of the law. It is not intended to set forth all of the obligations and rights of individuals with regard to firearms laws. FOR A FULL TEXT OF THE LAW, SEE CHAPTER 180 OF THE ACTS OF 1998. For more information regarding the MA Gun Control Act, contact Officer Keith Forget at the Salisbury Police Department (978) 465-3121.

  • What are the current Recreation Vehicle laws?

    A Recreation Vehicle is defined as ANY motor vehicle designed or modified for use over unimproved terrain, if used for recreation or pleasure off a public way. This also includes all legally registered motor vehicles, when used off a public way. Any motor vehicle registered under Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 90, will not be subject to registration under Chapter 90B, but it MUST display a current motor vehicle registration. A recreation vehicle MUST be registered through the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, except if solely used on land OWNED by the operator. The registration MUST be displayed on the back of each recreation vehicle.

    Q. What are the age restrictions for operating a Recreation Vehicle (RMV)?
    A. No person under the age of 14 shall operate a RMV except as provided below:
    • A person 12 or 13 years of age may operate if directly supervised  by a person 18 years of age or older.
    • A person 10 or 11 years of age may operate upon land on which the operator resides, provided he/she is supervised  by a person 18 years of age or older.
    • A person 14 years of age may operate in a sanctioned race, rally, or organized event, which has been approved by the appropriate local authority.
    • No person under the age of 16.5 years of age shall operate a Recreation Vehicle across a public way.

  • Q. Where is operation of a Recreation Vehicle allowed?
    A. You may operate a Recreation Vehicle on your own land, or in a designated area of trails authorized by the State Division of Forests and Parks, which is located in Rowley, MA.

    Q. Where is operation of a Recreation Vehicle prohibited?
    A. You may *not* operate a Recreation Vehicle:
    • on public ways, i.e., town roads, state roads, property owned by the town, or on publicly owned land, such as the railroad tracks area behind Baker and True Roads, or behind Lions Park, or upon the right-of-way limits of a controlled access highway.
    within 150 feet of an occupied residence without the permission of the owner, or on the land of another, without permission. This permission MUST be in writing and MUST be in possession of the operator.
    • at an unreasonable, improper, and unsafe speed for existing conditions.
    • on an ocean beach or sand dune so as to destroy, damage or break down any beach, dune, or dune grass.
    •  so as to endanger.
    •  in a manner so as to harass or chase wildlife or domestic animals.
    •  on designated wetlands.

  • Q. What safety equipment is required when operating a Recreation Vehicle?
    A. A person operating a Recreation Vehicle MUST:
    • wear an approved helmet.
    • have an adequate braking system, a muffler designed to reduce unusual or excessive noise and obnoxious fumes, headlights, rear RED lights, and a rear RED reflector.
    • have a RED rear reflector on any trailer attached to a recreation vehicle.

    Q. Who should I contact if I have any questions or if I would like an informational pamphlet sent to me?
    A. Executive Officer Robert Roy @ 978-465-3121.